Welcome to Modderhood

def. 1 Mod*derhood (mad-der-hud) 1) A mama of multiples with a modern style yet old school values

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Halloween in Pictures

Halloween 2010 was the best of my life.  Not because I went to some crazy Halloween party where we sang "scare-e-oke" and drank Malibu Witches Brew.  It was the best Halloween ever because I got to see a pumpkin patch through the eyes of a four year old.  I got to watch his face light up when I handed him his store bought costume.  I got to see my 17 month old twins dress up in matching superhero costumes and chase one another around (or, rather, watch my little girl run for her life as her hefty twin brother tried to tackle her).  

It was the best Halloween ever.  Here are a  few pics of our time together:  

I made Merrick's treat bag to match his costume.  I could have just handed him a used plastic grocery bag, however, and he wouldn't have cared as long as it was filled with candy by the end of the evening.  

I found that if you slap a piece of pumpkin face cheddar cheese on any thing during the month of October, you've got yourself a special spooky treat.  This is a whole wheat english muffin with an over easy egg and canadian bacon.  If the cheese were American, it would be quite the international event. 

Pumpkin blueberry pancakes!  By the end of the month, we were just sticking pumpkin into whatever we were eating.  Next year, peanut butter, jelly, and pumpkin sandwhiches...

Best treat of the month: Spice pumpkin cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting.  Holy smack. 

Pumpkin Patch Pictures...

My big little man was fascinated with the pumpkins.  He thought each one was a big orange ball ready to be thrown. 

Sawyer tried picking up pumpkins twice his size.

"You bested me this time, pumpkin.  But I'll be back next year...bigger, stronger, and ready to take you down..."

My princess stuck to pumpkins a bit smaller in size.  She looked beautiful in her pumpkin pillowcase dress.  

Merrick was super interested in funny looking, green, deformed looking pumpkins this year.

I like to think it says something about his heart...how he loves even those amongst us that don't look the same as the rest.  Typical mom, right?  Reading into every detail and making it about how my child is amazing...

Squirmiest bunch of little pumpkins ever. 

My boys helped take the pumpkins to the car in the wagon.  We learned the hard way that throwing them towards the car isn't a great idea.

I love this picture. 

Now time to carve those suckers.  Pumpkin carving is a serious matter in the Esparza casa.  Each year, we have a bit of a competition to see who gets the most compliments on his/her pumpkin.  Marcos, of course, insists that the competition is only in my mind.  I know on the inside, though, he's counting compliments when the trick-o-treaters come by.
Marcos chose the Texas-themed pumpkin, of course. 


In years past, I've done a puking pumpkin or ninja pumpkin.  This year, I decided to take the high road.  

I also tried out the Martha Stewart luminary pumpkin that you see in the back.  Surprise, surprise, it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped.  By the time I finally got the Christmas lights pushed through, half of the strands decided to die out.

Matthew 5:14  I was inspired by Pumpkin Patch Parable night

COSTUMES!!!

Wonder Twins!  I searched and searched for a tutorial or pattern online but never found one.  I ended up making these from scratch.  I'll post a pattern/tutorial later on for those other MoMs who need one. 

In case you're confused as to who the Wonder Twins are, they are cartoon characters from the 70's.



My beautiful girl.

I love this pic.  She looks like she's strutting her stuff.


Merrick showing off his guns

One of the grandpa's dressed up like Mickey.  I love it when folks make this day special for the kiddos.

One neighbor left out an entire bowl full of candy...just for us!

The loot!  

We are truly in the magical years with our children.  I am so thankful for this time.  Happy Halloween!  

6 comments:

  1. GREAT job on the Wonder Twins costumes!!!!! They are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kat! I can't believe how well they came out, especially since I was too cheap to buy a pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to purchase the pattern or even a set of the wonder twins costumes, I have two year old twins that definitely need to be the wonder twins this Halloween! Please contact me lorie_gassert@yahoo.com. Thank you! I can't wait to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd also LOVE LOVE the tutorial or pattern for the Wondertwins costumes. We are doing Wondertwins and Superfriends for my twinkies first birthday in June. My email is alisample@gmail.com Thank you soooo much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love the tutorial or pattern for the Wondertwins costumes, too. My kids are 18 months old, and I'm planning for their first Halloween around our 'hood. My email is chungjhee@hotmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful costume!! I am looking on internet for a tutorial or pattern and i never find, you are the first, i would love to see your tutorial! My email is: lilyanelins@gmail.com Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! Your messages make our day!